Helping pay the cost of healthcare
Clients with 500 employees or more can fund their company's private healthcare by setting up a Private Medical Trust. It can be a way to cut down on administration and cost.
There’s no Insurance Premium Tax to pay on the money your clients put into their healthcare trust scheme
We take care of the day-to-day administration, but your client keeps full control over what benefits the Trust provides
Employees get access to private healthcare and wellbeing services, making for a healthier workforce
Why a Private Medical Trust?
Private Medical Trusts are becoming increasingly attractive to companies with 500 employees or more. That’s largely down to two factors - the reduced administrative burden and the potential savings that come from the Trust’s structure. As it’s not an insurance contract, your clients won’t pay Insurance Premium Tax (12% as at September 2023).
Essentially, a Private Medical Trust is a pot of money that a business can use to pay for eligible medical expenses incurred by their employees.
Your client – the business – makes payments into the Trust scheme, which we can administer on their behalf. We look after claims assessments and payments. But because your client sets the rules of the Trust, they have control over the type and range of healthcare benefits the Trust provides.
How it works
Your client chooses which type of Trust to set up. The process can sometimes be daunting for clients who haven’t set up a Private Medical Trust this way before, so we recommend they take legal advice and tax advice.
If they choose a Non-discretionary Trust (fully funded by the employing company), we then carry out all the administration on behalf of the trustees, in return for a fee. Your client's company makes contributions into the fund, which are used to pay for eligible medical expenses incurred by the Trust’s beneficiaries, their employees.
With us managing the membership and claims on their behalf, your client can benefit from a long-term reduction in administration. Alternatively, they can manage the membership themselves. Either way, we set up a personalised claims service that can help people to return to work as soon as possible.
Our dedicated account-management team provides day-to-day support, from sending out new-joiner packs to contributing to the analysis of management information in meetings with trustees and group administrators.
There may be an action to register your client's Healthcare Trust with HMRC. Registration is the trustee’s responsibility. You can find more information about the Trust Registration Service on the Government website.
To help your clients look after the health and wellbeing of their employees, our Private Medical Trusts include the following added extras.
- Aviva Line Manager Toolkit: Mental Health* - Empower line managers to spot the warning signs of poor mental health. The digital Aviva Line Manager Toolkit: Mental Health provides clinically-underpinned, bite-sized videos, designed to help line managers identify signs and symptoms of poor mental wellbeing among team members, both in the physical and remote work environment.
- Cancer Care with Get Active* - Your clients' employees can benefit from savings on products and services that can help make a small difference if they or someone close to them is living with cancer. Cancer Care with Get Active provides them with access to discounted products and services that can help with the daily living adjustments a cancer diagnosis and treatment can bring, as well as offers on services and experiences that may enhance quality time spent with family and close friends.
- Stress Counselling helpline - Stress can develop when employees feel they are having difficulty with the demands and expectations they face. Stress carries risks for businesses, such as increased absenteeism, lower productivity, and low levels of morale. The best time for employees to get confidential help is as soon as possible. Letting issues build over time can create bigger problems down the line. This service is available 24/7 to members and their eligible dependants aged 16 or over.
- Mental Health Support* - Aviva can help manage and improve employee mental health by providing access to helpful information and advice. This can also empower line managers with the skills they need to deliver early intervention strategies. We've produced ten bite-sized videos for your clients' employees to watch whenever they need to. Designed by our clinical provider, they cover a range of mental health topics.
- MyAviva - We know life is busy, so that’s why we’ve developed MyAviva to make things easier for our customers. Our online portal will help your clients' employees manage all their Aviva policies and schemes in one secure and easy-to-use place. It puts a whole host of benefits at their fingertips, letting them check their policy or scheme information, including cover and benefit details to starting a new claim or update us on an existing one. MyAviva is safe, secure and tailored to use on most popular devices. It’s available to download from the App Store or Google Play. Mobile data charges may apply.
We've also recently enhanced our cancer cover and introduced a range of new support services, offering expert care throughout their cancer journey.
*These services are non-contractual benefits that could be changed or withdrawn by Aviva at any time.
Related products & services
Our group PMI product overing 250+ lives - lets your clients flexibly choose benefits suited to their business needs.
An alternative to our Optimum product, designed to deliver a high standard of medical care for your clients’ employees on an open referral basis.
Mental Health Pathway
Optional mental health management add-ons for 250+ employees that tailors the support employees receive for their mental health, with a focus on personalised clinical care.
Haven't found what you're looking for?
See our contact us page for a full directory.