What do I need to do if a home is unoccupied?

For new business this will decline.

The standard policy cover and rates are based on the assumption that we're covering normally occupied and furnished private homes. However, policyholders are requested to let us know if the premises are to be left unoccupied for more than 60 consecutive days as cover for malicious acts, water escaping, oil escaping, theft and, under Buildings only, breaking of glass and sanitary fittings are excluded after this period of a property being left unoccupied.

If a property is to be unoccupied for longer than 60 days, you'll need to let us know full details, including;

  • Why the premises are being left unoccupied and for how long?
  • What precautions are being taken to look after the premises and contents?
  • Are the premises undergoing alteration, repair, renovation or being converted?
  • Does the sum insured need to change as valuables or contents are being removed?
  • If during the winter months (November to March), has the heating been left on?
  • Is there a responsible person/keyholder visiting the property? If yes, how often?