Video is effective because...
It’s the most appealing and influential type of content.
It’s a great way of getting people to warm to you. We say ‘warm to’ because film and emotion go together. A well-made video will humanise your company to potential clients, referrers and job searchers alike.
A video of what? Here's some ideas...
- Say your piece about a topical issue, whether its directly connected to the industry, or about a social or economic trend in society
- Give an insider view of an industry event
- Show what you’ve done to support a charitable cause
You can either.
- Get a reputable company to produce it for you. They will film and edit it for you. And if you need it, they can write the script (based on your brief) OR
- If you don’t have the budget, do it yourself.
If you do go it alone - here's some things to bare in mind:
- Length: Try and keep it brief. 2-3 minutes is good.
- The script: If you’re writing it yourself, be tough on yourself. If the script’s not pulling its weight, nor will the film. Start with an idea, which you describe in a short outline. Think which details you need to bring the idea to life. Then get writing. If you don’t trust your own writing skills, hire a professional writer. They’ll make sure it works.
- Your natural voice: Whether it’s you or someone else, whether talking to camera or as a voiceover, make sure the words sound natural. Avoid streams of jargon and trying to be too clever.
- The gear: You can use your smart-phone. But do invest in a tripod. Camera-wobble will try the patience of the viewer.
- Good energy: A bit of honest enthusiasm on screen goes a long way.
- Use subtitles: Many people will be watching it mute. Help them out.